March 5, 2017: Altogether-Happiness

Sketch from an advertisement photo of writer Joan Dideon
"Miss Dreir made an impatient gesture. 'Georgia O'Keefe wants to be the greatest painter. Everyone can't be that, but all can contribute. Does the bird in the woods care if he is the best singer? He sings because he is happy. It is the altogether-happiness which makes one grand, great chorus.'" --from Growing Pains, a memoir by Canadian artist Emily Carr

This passage from Carr's memoir gives me such inspiration as an artist. The drawings in my journals that I like the most are the ones for which I was totally wrapped up in the process, not thinking about the product. As I drew this sketch, I definitely participated in the altogether-happiness...the grand, great chorus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment